Hard Drive is not recognized by computer.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JDiz150, Dec 28, 2009.

1. JDiz150 macrumors newbie

I plugged in my hard drive into my Macbook Pro and it wouldn't show up on the desktop. Opened the finder, and it wasn't there either. I went into the disk utility and it was there. So then I thought maybe rebooting the computer would help. No such luck. Then I plugged it into my friend's Macbook and it showed up no problem. Is there something I'm missing? The last time I used it I remember that error appearing where it forces you to shut off the computer. Does that have anything to do with it? I do photography and I have my entire collection on this hard drive, so restoring it is NOT an option. Like I said, the device was recognized and worked fine on my friend's laptop, just not on mine. Please help ASAP! Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

When you say "it was there", how exactly does it appear in Disk Utility? Can you post a screenshot?

3. JDiz150 thread starter macrumors newbie

It shows the hard drive icon on the left side. It says simpletech 465GB hard drive and then directly below it, it shows what I named my hard drive.

4. JDiz150 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried repairing it and ater 20 minutes it said "The volume JDizPhotography could not be repaired. Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed."

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is the name printed in black or grey?

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

It is in NTFS currently.

Format the drive to MacOS Extended Journaled and it will work perfect. OR format to MS-DOS (FAT) if you want to use it on PC's and Macs.

Formatting will erase ALL data on the drive.

Done.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Uh, that's a bit of a leap of logic. It's possible, but if it were a functional NTFS drive it would appear for read-only access. There is still something wrong.

Also, you really should use an adverb rather than an adjective. It will work perfectly.

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You understood what my point was and that's the point of language so standing there correcting me only proves your Grammar Führer unnecessary because you couldn't correct me if you didn't know what my intent was. :D

Point 1 for Cheeto.

Secondly, now that I think of it, different releases of OS X have different format compatibility. What OS is your friend using and what are you using?

9. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

...anyway.
    Just for a thought - check your Finder Preferences. They could be set to not show external drives in these places.

Attached Files:

10. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

try opening disk utility and selecting the drive
    click mount up at the top of the window