Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thefontes, Sep 4, 2014.

1. thefontes macrumors newbie

I started up my macbook pro one day to find that i landed on a screen like this:
    http://code2care.org/pages/mac-os-x...olor Screen with Spinner and Progress Bar.jpg

after 20 minutes or so progress gets to the end of the bar and the computer shuts down. Tried several times with same result.

So... I popped in a new HD loaded a fresh install of mavericks and attempted to mount my orig HD(with the problem) via external HD enclosure...

It did mount once, but I didn't realize that it wasn't going to mount again so i didn't back up my files at that time (i really wish I did).

Disk Utility won't mount it either and trying to repair gives me "Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

At this point I would love to, but... I can not mount the drive!!!

DiskWarrior says "Directory cannot be rebuilt due to disk hardware failure (-36,2747)"

What can I do?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Unless you want to spend a LOT of money sending it to a pro drive recovery company, at this point that data is likely gone.

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I agree with Weaselboy. You can listen closely to the hard drive in the external enclosure, too. Listen for repetitive clicking or grinding noises. If you hear those, it's very likely the drive -- and its data -- are toast.

Some (including myself) have had a little bit of success cooling the drive down to near-freezing temperatures. This is potentially dangerous as condensation can cause short circuits, but if you're willing to take the risk, I use gel freezer packs directly on top of the drive to cool it down. You MAY be able to retrieve some data or get the drive to mount at that point, but it's very unlikely.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Tell us you did have a good backup so you can restore to a replacement drive.

5. thefontes thread starter macrumors newbie

My last backup was about 4 months ago. Luckily I don't have too much on the bad drive since then, but I am going to loose some pictures. Grandpa's 80th birthday among them. Bummer.

----------

I forgot to mention... That first time I tried mounting it as an external drive, it didn't mount right away, but finally after about 30 minutes it did. Do you think this might happen again if I keep trying and waiting? Or am I better off trying the freezing method?

6. thefontes thread starter macrumors newbie

It connected!!! After about 20mins (on my 10th try or so) It finally mounted and I am backing up files as I type this. Woohoo!

I was just browsing the web and out of nowhere an alert just popped up saying the drive could not be repaired, I clicked ok and it mounted right then.