Hard drive issues with iTunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by usualanomaly, Dec 15, 2007.

1. usualanomaly macrumors newbie

My old hard drive recently crashed. I had all my music stored on it. I purchased a new 1TB Western Digital drive and transferred all my files to the new drive (luckily I had backed my collection up a few weeks before). I added all the files to iTunes and then replaced the new library file with an old one that I saved when I backed everything up. My new drive had a different name than the old drive, but iTunes seemed to take care of that issue. However, yesterday I started getting messages that the original file could not be found. The issue goes away when I give my new drive the same name as the old one. It seems like the file path won't update for some reason. I'm not having any issues with stuff I added since acquiring the new drive. It seems to dynamically update (e.g. I can name my drive whatever I want and it finds the file). I'm wondering if it's a permissions issue, if it has something to do with the old library file, or maybe it's just a bug in Leopard. I would just add everything and start fresh with a new library file but I have over 25,000 songs, many of which are tagged improperly and I didn't feel like spending hours retagging them.

I know the simple solution would be to give the drive its old name and I have no problem doing that. I'm just wondering what's going on.

I'm running OS X 10.5.1 on an iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Thanks

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

have you looked in itunes preferences in advanced? under itunes music folder location make sure it is set to your new drive.

3. usualanomaly thread starter macrumors newbie

that solved it. i completely overlooked that. thanks!