Hard Drive issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jeanga, Sep 3, 2010.

1. jeanga macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm having tremendous issues with my hard drive,
    Some time last week, it stopped functioning, it wouldn't mount and when I launched testdisk, the drive would appear but not the partition.
    I was in a rush and didn't have time to address the issue roperly at the time so left it for a couple of days and when I started studying the issue today, I found that the drive mounted, except that when browsing the drive, I would find some data, like all the folders in the root directory would appear, but apart from a few cases nothing in them.
    has anybody ever encountered such an issue?
    Please help

JeanGa

2. alxmdsn macrumors newbie

I've encountered something like that before and it happens when u accidentally delete the folder for u drive get your OSX disk and reinstall the operating system using disk utility that should help :D

3. jeanga thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply,
    I think I wasn't precise enough when I explained my issue:
    The hard drive in question is an external hard drive and contains lots of important information that I would like to keep hold of.

my local hard drive is fine, but I'm trying to retrieve what was on my external hard drive...

Any idea?

4. mangrove macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear of your problem. Do you routinely back up that drive?

I am no expert, but ever since I lost TONS of valuable data years ago, I buy drives in threes. One is use in my Mac. #2 is my onsite backup and #3 is my off-site backup.
    It just happens and you know it always happens when you are needing the most valuable stuff!!

So far in my life I have personally had 15 platter drives go out. Now whenever something strange happens, I just toss it and use the backup. Since storage is so cheap today, maybe that is something to consider for the future.

As far as the present goes, I hope someone can help you get that data back sooner than later.

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli