Hard drive issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kylio, Jul 28, 2014.

1. kylio macrumors newbie

Hi there, so I own a MacBook Pro late 2009 model and around 2 years after I purchased this my mac started to slow right down to the point that it just froze, when I turned my mac back on I got a grey screen appear with the question mark. I took this to the apple store and they replaced my hard drive and all was well for around a year then soon after the same thing happened again. This time I decided to replace the hard drive myself and would you know it, it worked, well all for around 3 minutes when it slowed right down again and froze and the same thing happened yet again.

now when I try and insert the instillation disc and go to the disk utilities screen the only thing it can detect is my optical drive and the cd that is inserted. Could this be yet again another faulty hard drive or something else that is causing this issue.

thank you for taking the time to read this.

kyle

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

4. kylio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Bruno I will have a look into this. Also yes you are right I meant kid 2009

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Probably the cable. Same thing happened to mine several times.

By chance to you take your Mac to work or school in a backpack or bag with other things like books or paper files? A genius thought my Mac would "eat" the hard drive cable because I carried it in a backpack. He said something about there being a design flaw in how the cable goes under the hard drive and over the optical drive before it connects to the logic board and can get pinched easily.

Unfortunately the only solution for me was to constantly replace that cable and later retire that machine to home use only.