Hard Drive issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RoboWarriorSr, Sep 2, 2014.

1. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

So I currently using a 3 TB Western Digital Hard Drive that has an interesting issue. Every time I turn off the hard drive (after properly ejecting it) I gain some sort of data loss (small data loss like on a album of songs something album art is missing or a few songs are corrupted). But when I keep the hard drive on, (and properly ejecting it) the data isn't lost. Is this typical behavior for a hard drive or is there something wrong with it (whether hardware related or software). It's formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive) and on a Rosewill enclosure. I did reformat from NTFS in order for it to work with iTunes. I have tried erasing and reformatting with same results. My other hard drive does not have this issue.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

No, that shouldn't happen.

Maybe a cache issue? Assuming you're run diagnostics on it, does it behave that way in a different case?

3. RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

I believed it runs the same on a different case, it was previously on exFat and that caused even worse issues. The original casing I used was fine (formatted as NTFS+) but the case broke. The hard drive kinda just sat in the corner (occasionally used it but not data loss) but it was fine before. I had to buy a different one since the hard drive would overheat after a while (read/write speeds would drop from 20 mbps to 2 mbps). I'm backing up my data and going to check the SMART data later, when a hard drive is erase (like 10x times erased) then formatted, does the SMART get erased as well (like removed) and if it does, does it get reinstalled when reformatted?

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Are you using it over USB2? Because otherwise, you should be getting at least 100 Megabytes/sec with a regular hard disk via USB3...

5. RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

The hard drive is USB 3.0 (as is the enclosure) but all my computer ports are USB 2.0.

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

That explains your speed being around 20MBps...

As for the hard drive corrupting data, it shouldn't be doing that at all if you're ejecting the drive before turning it off... I would seriously be looking at buying a new hdd and cloning the data to the new one.

And I would choose a better make of HDD... I find Toshiba and HGST to be the best.

7. RoboWarriorSr, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

So Western Digital isn't that good? Luckily I have another 3 TB seagate hard drive that is doing perfectly fine so I'll back stuff up and find a better one. Also which HGST hard drive would you recommend, wouldn't looking through some of their products and wouldn't really like to drop $500 for a hard drive right (despite the price it's tempting).

8. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

The problem with Western Digital is that they use their least robust and cheapest drives in the My Books.

The HGST drive I was thinking of was this:

http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Touro-Desktop-External-0S03396/dp/B007K4HA0W/