Hard drive issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spadz93, Mar 3, 2017.

1. spadz93 macrumors member

Have a Macbook Pro 8,2 with a samsung 500gb SSD. Out of nowhere, the machine freezes, and when I go to boot back up, I get the dreaded folder with a question mark. "Okay, can't see the boot OS, no problem. Let's check recovery to see what's up" Disk utility in recovery doesn't show any drive at all. Panic starts to set in. I take the drive and put it on a dock, and connect it via usb to another computer to see what's up. Drive pops right up. I got a little curious, and was actually able to boot via usb from the ssd on the affected macbook pro. Immediately thought it was the cable, so I ordered a replacement, and that didn't fix it either.

Tl;dr, got the folder with the question mark, hard drive tested positive for functionality, cable didn't solve the problem. Anyone got any thoughts?

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Late 2011 15" MBP it could be - a failing SATA ribbon cable (my choice from the symptoms).

3. spadz93 thread starter macrumors member

Check my second to last sentence "cable didn't solve the problem"

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

From your symptoms, a problem with the SATA connection is the only thing that makes sense.

There have been threads on the forum that peoples "new" cable was also bad. They ended up having to get another cable. I would suggest returning the cable for a replacement or get another cable from a different source and if it works return the original new cable for a refund.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Do you have the original HDD from the Macbook (assuming it came with one)?
    Can you put that -- or another HDD or SSD -- into the Macbook?
    Does the second drive produce the same problems?

6. spadz93 thread starter macrumors member

Okay. This is my girlfriend's machine, and I also have a 15" macbook pro, but a year newer, so maybe the cables will be the same and I can try my working one on her machine.

The original drive is gone, but I tried 2 other known working hard drives, and the machine didn't pick those up either

7. CoastalOR, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017

CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

You have a 2011 15" MBP so a year newer would be a 2012 15" MBP (non-Retina)? If yes, then the cables are different.
    Here is what ifixit.com shows:
    2011 - https://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Part...ibody-Early-2011-Hard-Drive-Cable/IF161-086-1
    2012 - https://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Part...Unibody-Mid-2012-Hard-Drive-Cable/IF161-100-1

8. spadz93 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I did it anyway, and my cable works in her machine. They must have sent me a crap cable. Funny, iFixIt has never sent me a bad part

9. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I'm glad you figured it out. There is always a chance of DOA equipment, just bad luck. Those ribbon SATA cables are pretty fragile.