Hard drive issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattjngordon, Nov 27, 2008.

1. mattjngordon macrumors newbie

I bought a black MacBook in March this year (switching from Windows) and generally I have been very happy with it. Now, I am getting weird screen freezes occasionally that seem to be symptoms of a hard drive failure. These freezes tend to require holding the power button until the computer switches off, then I reboot and everything is okay until the next freeze. When booting I occasionally wait for up to 30 minutes at the gray Apple screen before forcing the computer to switch off and reboot it, where it goes back to normal.

At the moment, my MacBook is running fsck in single-user mode; I'm trying to see whether this is a software issue or a hardware issue. So far my laptop is reporting numerous errors, including:

• Overlapped extent allocation
    • Invalid leaf record count
    • Volume Bit Map nees minor repair
    • Invalid volume free block count
    • Missing thread record
    • Missing directory record

Should I be worried about the data on my drive?

Thanks

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I would , but a consistent backup would have prevented any loss of data.

3. mattjngordon thread starter macrumors newbie

fsck finished, OS X booting normally

fsck has finished and OS X appears to be back to normal. Doing something that previously caused a freeze (syncing my iPod with iTunes) no longer causes a freeze. I am backing up my data now while the hard drive appears to be fine.

If the drive seems fine now, should I order a new replacement one to install myself anyway? I would like a bigger internal drive so maybe this would be an ideal time to get one if my current drive seems to be having problems.

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Get a bigger internal and an external case to use with the old drive as a backup, assuming it's not damaged.

5. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

That is a great idea!