Hard drive just crashed - Replacement wasnt that bad

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Arcadie, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Arcadie macrumors regular

So my HD crashed yesterday. I was going crazy because when i called apple, it was going to cost $350 and that price just sounded ridiculous. Especially when i have a 20" with a 2.0 from 08 and i could always use an excuse to upgrade if i tried fixing it myself and something went wrong :)

Anyway i was going to buy a 1TB drive but then after thinking about it, i use this computer mainly for business and deal with alot of PDF's and i have never had more than 100 GB, so i opted for 2 500GB drives (1 external) so i could backup all my data and not have to worry about it should i have another failure.

So i got 2 500GB seagate drives from compusa (only $59, not bad since they are a retail store)

I fallowed a video i found on youtube and had my computer up running (except for reinstalling the OS) in about 15 minutes. Not bad at all.

If you HD ever fails and you dont have apple p.care, dont hesitate to DIY

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Congratulations! If you have just a bit of technical savvy, a lot of common sense, and are willing, MOST people can replace HD/RAM/optical drives. There are oodles of DIY videos and sites online. You can save big $$ and actually increase your machine's performance in some cases.

4. Arcadie thread starter macrumors regular

I think apple designed these things to scare people. When you first take off the aluminum shell, its kind of scary looking.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

You never mentioned what model computer you have but I'm guessing a PowerMac or Mac Pro since those are the only ones that can accommodate 2 internal drives. Therefore, if you really want a good backup strategy you shouldn't be backing up from one internal drive to another. Your backup ideally should be physically separate from the computer to protect it from the same dangers that can affect your system drive: physical damage, corruption, theft.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Read the OP - he said 1 EXTERNAL for backup.

7. Arcadie thread starter macrumors regular

Imac, it was when the alums first came out in late 07. the second hd i stuck in a nexstart enclosure