Hard Drive keeps filling up, making me constantly reboot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BillyHoyle, Nov 4, 2012.

1. BillyHoyle macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My Macbook keeps telling me that my hard drive is full shortly after starting the laptop; especially if I use the internet for watching videos.

It sometimes helps to close Safari down and restart it, then usually some of the space returns but not all of it.

I have over 5 gig available when I start it up but that all goes - any ideas what I can do?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like the files Safari puts in its cache to speed up browsing are filling up the small amount of space you have on the drive. As a temporary measure you could browse in Private Mode and that would stop local disk caching. But the real solution is to free up some disk space by deleting some items from the drive.

3. BillyHoyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? more than 5 gig operating space? Seems like a lot. How much should I aim to have then?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are watching videos, yes, I could easily see 5GB accumulating as cache. There is no set amount of free space required. Just try freeing up some and give it a test.

You might try going to Reset Safari... in the Safari menu dropdown and using that to clear the cache once in a while during a browsing session.