Hard Drive Keeps Filling Up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HLReiku, May 17, 2011.

1. HLReiku macrumors newbie

Okay, whenever I make space (and I'm at the edge of 20 Gigs) and for whatever reason it keeps filling up when I'm doing seemingly nothing. Do I have a setting or some Application thats creating data somewhere? I'm so lost...

I ran MacKeeper and I got rid of a lot of clutter and cache which freed up a Gig or two but it still continues to fill up. Any explanation for a Rookie Mac User?

Thanks a ton.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Bryon4000 macrumors newbie

I have had the same problem, my Mac Internal HD continued to fill up after I continued to make more and more free space.

I used Disk Inventory as suggested and found my problem.

I have a 1 TB internal HD. 901 GB were used under Users, and under my User account, which was surprising to me.

As I looked under Users>my User account>Library>Mail, I found that 710 GB were used under Mail.

590 GB was used under 1 Mail account under Recovered Messages, and 120 GB under a 2nd email account.
    There were many, many folders under Recovered Messages for these accounts.

I have been accessing these accounts via the web perfectly fine so I'm receiving and sending emails from the accounts, but I was having trouble accessing these internet mail accounts via Mac Mail.

I should have known this may have been causing my problem since I was having trouble accessing 1 of these email accounts via my iMac.

It seems that I may have tried sending an email with a large attachment and it didn't send, so it tried resending over and over, and each time it failed it stored it under Recovered Messages.

Mail would continue to do this until the HD filled up. Then I would make free space and the process would repeat until the HD filled up again.

I am now following Posts which tell you how to clean up Mac Mail Recovered Message folders, etc...

I now have 710 GB free! I'll continue to monitor my free space for the next few days/weeks to ensure I solved the root cause of the problem.

Thanks for the Tip on Disk Inventory! It got me looking in the right place