Hard drive left in 40F temps?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jshelton, Jan 29, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I ordered a Western Digital 320GB external hard drive. It was delivered around11:00CST and I won't be home from work to get it until 4:00CST. UPS left it on the doorstep. Will the hard drive be okay after sitting in the cold for several hours?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I will say yes.
    I drove from CA to NC the beginning of January with all my hard drives from my MacPro in antistatic bags, then wrapped (over the bag) in bubble wrap, put into a cardboard box and left in the cab of my pickup truck where I drove through snow and rain with temps reaching down into the single digits.

When you get home though you need to leave them in your house for a day. Let the temp regulate. While this may not do any good, it's a good rule of thumb when something is left out in the cold. I had an ACD delivered and did the exact same thing but I left it for two days just to be safe. LCDs don't like cold.

Just be certain to leave it for a bit and let it get back to a more normal temp and you should be fine.

3. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Jessica! :D

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

You're fine. From WD's website

I'm not sure of your model but I'd imagine most are similar to this.

It will probably be in a vacuum sealed antistatic bag with a mosture indicator, you might want to give the whole drive a chance to get to room temperature lest the cold condense moisture on the drive/indicator, but there will be no lasting damage since you are well within the allowed range for operation, and even further padded by the non-operating range.

5. m0no macrumors regular

I had a WD 1TB delivered earlier this month that sat on my doorstep for about 8hrs in single digits temperature. The hard drive itself was extremely cold, but I let it sit for a day since I didn't need to use it right away and it has been fine. I think it's safe to say it will be fine.