Hard Drive making funny noises...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nateo200, Oct 10, 2011.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

My hard drive on my 13" MacBook Pro 2010 (also see my sig) is making very loud noises. Even my friends were getting concerned...I figured my increased use of Final Cut Pro X probably offset it but it still concerns me......also my Super drive is becoming iffy..discs get stuck in it and it won't read them 70% of the time...*sigh...I think its time to get a MacBook Air :(

2. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Anyone? I'd really like it if my computer would NOT fail as I love my MBP but I need some input...not going to go see the genius bar for no reason.

3. Robo6675 macrumors newbie

I'd just get a new hard drive. Lot cheaper than a new laptop. Same goes for the cd/DVD drive. I'd just get a USB one.

4. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

No diagnoses? I just want to know whats going on I mean I guess I can do that but still. I took a video of the noises its making if that helps...

5. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I agree with Robo6675, it sounds like it's time to get a new internal hard drive ASAP, before you need a data recovery place on the old one. Good news is you can up the hard drive size, or put in a SSD if you want etc etc.

However when it comes to the Superdrive (DVD/CD) you can also get a new internal drive instead of an external one. I don't really like the external drives because when you need to use it, you have to get it out and hook it up every time. But you can get a Blu Ray DVD/ CD RW R+/- external and have Blu Ray now too. Or you can order a third party internal Superdirve like the one you had, it just doesn't have to be an apple drive if it's out of warranty.

6. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah I think its time...read and write speeds are horrible. I beat the hell out of my computers...always have, not physically but with the tasks. I need a hard drive that can handle basically constantly spinning from video encoding, editing, and being thrown into a school bag...it doesn't seam that abusive considering what I've seen others do to their computers...I want to back up my drive ASAP. My computer in the middle of an encode was forced to restart by the OS when my RAM usage wasn't even that high (was encoding SD content). Also Final Cut Pro X was crashing like crazy which unfortunately doesn't surprise but I was puttting together some basic content in 360p....not very happy about this at all. I want to back up my whole computer onto the 1 tb USB external but Time Machine won't even open up? No clue whats going on...

As for upgrades I'm thinking reliable but affordable SSD for boot so It would be like 64GB's or 128GB's and then going with an optibay for a 750GB HDD which would need to be reliable. I need highly reliable upgrades here...I am very particular about treating my electronics carefully but I don't have time for disks failing, disks acting slow, whatever. I have allot of DSLR video content stored on here not to mention all of my school stuff....both are sensitive and are not something I can afford to loose so I will back up in like 5 different places but I want my boot drive and 2nd internal drive to be allot more safe.

I hate to be pushy BUT who ever has solid input to offer just start spitting out answers..this is my ONLY computer for the time being and it MUST function.

7. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

I'm looking at going with the SSD to boot so I want to purchase this guy:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1118531&CatId=5300
    Then I'm looking to get an Optibay to drop a HDD for mass storage in...it seams that there are a variety of knock offs that do just the same thing...
    http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Unibody...H2US/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318358072&sr=8-3
    thats what I'm looking at.

So somehow get time machine to run and back up EVERYTHING on the 1 terabyte then load the OS and basics onto the SSD. Install my 160GB 7200 WD in the optibay tell I can get a better drive and throw the non-essentials on that and finally use the 1TB as a back up drive/drive that doesn't get run allot for data security...is that a good plan? As I type this my hard drive is starting to slow down pretty bad and its really loud...monitoring its stats don't seam to support the fact that it will live too much longer so I'm thinking fast. Probably shut this down and use my iPhone to reply...