Hard drive maknig "crunching" sound after partitioning.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nikos, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

So I just partitioned my drive to install Windows and noticed that my hard drive is now making that "crunching" sound that some hard drives make. It started during my Windows installation, and it happens regularly in Windows.

I also briefly hear it while OSX is starting up, but it doesn't seem to happen much in OSX. I've launched a bunch of applications and it is still pretty much silent.

Any ideas what could cause this? Could it be NTFS? I have several hard drives in my PC that don't make that sound. I am using a 17" MacBook Pro unibody with the regular 320gb 5400rpm drive that it comes with.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

2. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Anyone else's making this sound? Pretty sure it's the arm on the hard drive going back and forth when data is being accessed, which would explain why it's more present in Windows rather than OSX's journaled file system.

3. Moriarty macrumors 6502

NTFS is journaled too I think...

If it just sounds like normal access noise, don't worry. Windows does that alot because it is so slow and inefficient.

4. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Gonna have to disagree. I've been using Windows since the 90s with custom built systems and never hear my hard drives. I have five in my current PC and they are all silent, that's why this kind of concerns me.

5. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I don't like windows either, but comments like yours are what start an OS war on the forums :)

6. Uma888 macrumors 6502

:O

I have the exact same problem!

I have the 320gb 5400rpm Drive. I installed Windows Vista x64 on a 100gb partiton an am getting the same "Crunching" Sound when in Windows. After a Few minutes; Vista Crashes and the "Crunching" Stops.

I think ill book an appointment with a Genius and get this thing checked out.

EDIT: i also get a slight "Crunch" in OSX too (Intermittent)

7. theguy126 macrumors newbie

It is normal

I haev bootcamp and have the same issue. Internal harddrive louder on Windows. External harddrives are EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE (louder on Mac). At least if they're formatted NTFS. I believe this is normal but I have no clue why.

By the way, OS X sucks because on my macbook pro my typing speed is often limited to around 80 words per minute at random times of the day. If I try to go over that speed it starts dropping letters and I have to wait for scrolling letters to "catch up" to my typing speed. It probably has to do with the operating system being busy or something. But it never happens on my Windows partition on the same computer!