hard drive mapping

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rnbrac, Jan 21, 2009.

1. rnbrac macrumors newbie

Sorry to post 2 threads back to back but I didn't want to clutter the other one even though they are about the same event. I am not trying to spam the boards, I promise.
    I was doing homework the other night, sat my macbook down and it slid off the edge of the bed. It worked fine the rest of the night. The next day it still worked fine for a couple of hours then when I sat it aside for a couple of minutes and came back it had gone to sleep. The little light on the front was "breathing" I tapped the spacebar to wake it up, got the beach ball and it never went to the log in screen. After about 5 minutes of spinning beach ball, I hit the power button and turned it off and back on, chimed, then I don't remember the color of the screen but it eventually turned gray and I got a folder with a question mark blinking at me.
    Its out of warranty, and the lady @ Apple was very nice and did some basic trouble shooting then told me that was as far as she could go.
    Took it to a repair shot the next day and they said the hard drive was dead and, later, unrecoverable.
    When I dropped it, should I have put it to sleep until I could run a hard drive mapping utility so the hard drive wouldn't go to a bad sector?
    If so, what would I have ran?
    Or
    Were the 2 events unrelated and just a coincidence they happened so close together.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Chances are it was scratched when you dropped it. After that, there's nothing more you can do.