Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aceuniverse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Recently, I have noticed that my hard drive seems to be a bit sluggish. For example, when i play some light games(like very low graphics settings) it seems to "sputter". Plus it's not my internet connection, I have a reliable and fast internet connection.

Curious, I wanted to see whether my hard drive was the problem. I ran a smart utility (http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php) and it says that I have 678 Uncorrectable errors and that my hard drive is in fact Failing. Should I take this seriously and ask for a new under drive since mine is under warranty with Seagate? Oh don't worry about me backing up my hard drive, I already have. Thank you!

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Do you have an Apple store nearby? If you do, that might be the best alternative. Otherwise, possibly you should do a clean install of the operating system, returning it to it's brand-new state.

I'm not sure how to do this on an MBP, but there are directions in other threads.

Aceuniverse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Do you have an Apple store nearby? If you do, that might be the best alternative. Otherwise, possibly you should do a clean install of the operating system, returning it to it's brand-new state.

I'm not sure how to do this on an MBP, but there are directions in other threads.

The problem is I bought it with a failed hard drive. So I bought a seagate hard drive and that voids apple warranty. BUT, the seagate hard drive I bought IS under a 5 year limited warranty

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Recently, I have noticed that my hard drive seems to be a bit sluggish. For example, when i play some light games(like very low graphics settings) it seems to "sputter". Plus it's not my internet connection, I have a reliable and fast internet connection.

Curious, I wanted to see whether my hard drive was the problem. I ran a smart utility (http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php) and it says that I have 678 Uncorrectable errors and that my hard drive is in fact Failing. Should I take this seriously and ask for a new under drive since mine is under warranty with Seagate? Oh don't worry about me backing up my hard drive, I already have. Thank you!

700 bad sectors doesn't really man a drive is failing. A 1TB drive has about 2 billion sectors on it, so that's only 0.000034% of the drive.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
If you drive is failing I would back up your files just to be safe. If you can get to an Apple Store it may not be a bad idea to have them diagnose the problem for you. On the plus side if it is your HDD then it can replaced by yourself and they are pretty cheap. Plus you have plenty of options, a traditional HDD, hybrid HDD or an SSD.

----------

The problem is I bought it with a failed hard drive. So I bought a seagate hard drive and that voids apple warranty. BUT, the seagate hard drive I bought IS under a 5 year limited warranty

Installing a new HDD does NOT void the warranty. Apple even includes instructions on how to do it on their website so you are all set as far as the warranty goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.