Hard drive moving in MacBook Pro after upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timROGERS, Jul 15, 2009.

1. timROGERS macrumors member

Hey,

I got someone at work to install the 500GB WD Scorpio Blue drive that I bought into my MacBook Pro, but now when I turn the laptop over I can hear the drive move.

What would cause this to happen? How can it be fixed?

Thanks,

Tim

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Probably forgot to tighten/install the HDD bracket that holds the hard drive down. Are you sure it's the hard drive and not some other component?

You can always open it up and find out. ifixit.com has instructions on break down and tools required.

3. timROGERS thread starter macrumors member

I think he didn't remove the mounting screws from the old drive and put them in, as they're still in the old drive. How do you remove the new drive without the sticky tab that was on the stock drive?

4. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Sounds right to me, do you still have the old HDD? You'll see the mounting screws on it.
    I'm sure you can just grab the drive with you hand pretty easily without the sticky tab especially if there are no mounting screws on it. If all else fails turn it upside down and shake. :p jk

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I agree .... even if the clamp bar was loose the drive should be able to slide around THAT MUCH.

Somebody did not know what they were doing.

Get the old drive, remove the 4 mounting stud/screws from it and install them in the new drive. Then reinstall the new drive.