Hard drive mysteriously losing space

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by richiehernandez, Aug 16, 2010.

1. richiehernandez macrumors newbie

First off, this is not something that Omni Sweeper or Disk Inventory X can help with -- my files aren't the problem.

My hard drive got pretty full, so I decided to replace it with a new one. Unfortunately, the clone of my original drive got corrupted so I had to put the original drive back in to the computer almost immediately after I took it out. Somehow, while it was outside of my computer, the amount of space that I was using on it went up from 87 GB to 133 GB. Of course, the only external drive that I can use to clone it is 120 GB, so I need to figure out what's using this extra space. Oddly, Disk Inventory X still insists that I'm only using 87 GB of space, and the results of du -k | sort -nr agrees with that result.

Does anyone have a way of getting rid of the space that OS X believes that I'm using?

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

try to do a repair in disk utility. or check for hidden folders with temporary files that may have been created during the attempt to clone the hdd

3. richiehernandez thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for bothering everyone, I managed to solve it. It turned out that my computer made a copy of the hard drive that I copied my hard drive to and hid it away in the Volumes folder.