Hard Drive Mystery for the Ages!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fmacman, Jun 24, 2013.

1. fmacman macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I feel like i have a unique issue here that i searched for hours and could not find the answers anywhere!

I have a late 2011 MBP that I installed a Solid state 128 gb hard drive and a 750gb hard drive into the optical bay. Everything here has been working perfect for the last year and continues to do so.

The issue is that i tried replacing the optical bay hard drive with a better one it does not work. Sometimes in finder the hard drive shows and some times it doesn't and if it does show i try adding a file and it does not let me. I will go into disc utility and hit verify or repair and those always fail.

The weird part is when i put the hard drive in an external inclosure it works perfect. When doing so i have formatted it multiple times to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I thought it could be the cable, but why when i put my other hard drive back in the optical bay it works fine? The new hard drive is a Seagate 750gb 7200 rpm hybrid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

fmacmann

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

2011 MBP's have known issues with SATA III 6 Gb/s drives in the optibay.

Per OWC:

"Testing has demonstrated that Apple factory hardware does not reliably support a 6G (6Gb/s) Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive in the optical bay of 2011 MacBook Pros (ModeI ID8,1; 8,2; 8,3). If your OWC Data Doubler bundle comes with a 6G drive, you should ONLY install that drive in the main drive bay and utilize the Data Doubler to re-task your existing drive or install a new 3G SSD or HDD in the optical bay. PRE-2011 models can utilize a 6G drive in the optical bay, but will do so at a reduced 3G (3Gb/s) speed. "

3. fmacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks niteflyr for the reply! This saved me of many more hours of headaches!