Hard drive *********, need some solutions.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ssd0904, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ssd0904, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013

ssd0904 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Situation
    My external hdd is suddenly and unexpectdley ****ed, I'm so confused..

Excuse
    I always back up to 2 hard drives but recently I had to give one away and I was going to buy a new one after I arrive back in Canada, and I think the hard drive suffered from physical damage during flight back..(pretty sure about this)

My own research
    After a good search, it seems like it isn't the PCB(?), or the control board's fault, it seems like some components inside are wrong, maybe one of the components.

Exact Situation
    Here are some pictures of my situation

A.
    The disk is clicking constantly(as im running disk warrior), and it seems like something physical is wrong, as I've said before"

B
    My mac says that the drive is unreadable, and has options
    1.initialize
    2.ignore
    3.eject,

C
    andthen I can go in to disk utility, and as you can see(in the pictures), my partition is greyed but my drive is connected.

[​IMG]

or

htt[space]p://imageshack.us/g/823/icfj.png/

What i'm currently doing to fix this
    I'm currently running DiskWarrior but I just wanted to ask for some help before waiting for days sitting down like a retard.

+ My bro does have a same hard drive(exact same one from the same company, bought at the same time at same price), so if anything can be done to swap some stuff and fix this drive, that would be awesome.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Clicking noises are a very bad sign, and suggest that the disk is dying or dead. Disk Warrior is unlikely to fix it.

This is an external drive? You say you made 2 backups, but gave one away. Is this the other backup, or a drive with source material on it? Do you have another copy of this data?

3. ssd0904 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I made one backup, and I gave that away. If there was another backup, I wouldn't be uploading this kind of stuff, I would have just thrown the hdd out , no problem.

Now I just realized that after 6 hours of diskwarrior "success" that I accidentally had initialized my drive, so I have to recover the data somehow, and it just became the most complicated thing ever...

It doesn't even get recognized right now for some reason, fml.

4. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Sounds like you're experiencing the Click of Death. That, coupled with your comment that you now seem to have formatted the drive, means your data is pretty much gone--not sure there is anything you can do, short of a professional data recovery service.

Is it possible that the person you gave your backup drive to hasn't done anything with it yet? Maybe they can send it back to you, you can copy the data, then return it.

This is a classic example of Murphy's Law--just when you give away your only back up drive, that's when your hard drive fails.

Anyone who has data that they care about needs to have it on at least 2 backups.

5. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

As Zerozal said it is likely that you need a professional recovery service. I would not attempt any more work with the drive, if you want to use a professional recovery service, so as to maximize the probability of success.

Cheers

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"As Zerozal said it is likely that you need a professional recovery service. I would not attempt any more work with the drive, if you want to use a professional recovery service, so as to maximize the probability of success."

Also be aware that the "professional recovery services" are VERY expensive. So be prepared to pony up about $1,000 if you really want that data back.

Time and time and time and time and time and time (had enough yet?) again, I see posts from folks who didn't keep proper backups, and then they come asking, "how do I get my data back?"

The answer is simple:
    Keep a proper backup (or better yet, TWO proper backups), and you can have your data back.

Otherwise....?

IF the drive is not physically broken (this is where you pretty much HAVE TO use professional data recovery), it's still possible to get data back with the right tools. You'll need:
    1. A second drive (to serve as a scratch/recovery drive)
    2. Data recovery software (such as DataRescue3 - be prepared to pay $100)

Even if the drive is re-initialized, if it can be mounted on the desktop (even if it shows "empty"), the data recovery apps can often get the data back for you.

Does the external drive in question mount on the desktop, even though it may show "empty"?

7. ssd0904 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the late response. School started..

After the diskwarrior success(not success, because i realized i had intiliazed the hard drive), it does NOT get recognized by ANY computer(windows, mac..) I really do not know why. Did diskwarrior kill what's left of the hdD?

It powers on, and it has the 3 clicks, and then it just stays powered on, but nothing shows on my disk utility or my desktop(ofc..)

I heard you can go into BIOS or something and check if it's there, how do I do that?

I'm really deciding if i should send it to the prof. services, looks like it's gonna cost 500~1000.. So I'm going to do everything I can before i send it. It's not info worth of money.. But it's photos, music, movies, and previous school projects which are so important for memory.. And I have 20000+ pictures taken with my DSLR.. so.. :(... I really hope I can go back in time..

----------

One more thing. I connected it to the SATA cable(after removing the outer case of the hard drive), and it still doesn't get recognized. Maybe DiskWarrior did something to the drive and made it unrecognizable??

By SATA cable I mean the one in the below video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCx3GOcRMIk