Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Okay here's my question about mac HARDWARE!

I have three hard disks in my Dual 1ghz MDD G4 PowerMac. My main system disk is master on the ATA100 bus and it is 120gb, then there is a backup that is slave on the ATA100 bus that is a quite new Maxtor 200gb. The third drive is the original 80gb that shipped with the computer and it is on the ATA66 bus, this last disk is where I store all my audio files and samples.

I use the computer mainly for audio work and all my playing and surfing and music etc. I used to have the maxtor on the same bus as the audio disk but I would get logic complaining about disk being too slow whenever the maxtor decided to wake itself up for no reason (which happens a lot). In fact i regularly get the syste, stopping for several seconds jsut to wait for my Hard Drives to wake up, even when I am not accessing them. The big 200gb is for movies and backup so I hardly ever actually use it but I still insists on wkaing up for no reason and causing hte system to come to a grinding halt. I had this problem before getting the 200gb but the delays were MUCH shorter i eman they were never more than about 2-3 seconds while now I have to wait about 15 seconds every time I open a menu from the dock or start a program or browse the finder.

Anway, luckily moving the 200gb to the other bus has stopped logic from going nuts and saved my precious live recordings, BUT, and its a big but, Now iTunes pauses everytime the hard disk starts up and general system performance is much worse! Argh, what do I do, are there some settings I can do or do I jsut need to get a new bus or a firewire box for the 200gb?

cheers y'all

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Have you tried messing with the options in System Prefs> Energy Saver?

You can not let the hard drives spin down to eliminate that delay, by unchecking the box next to "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible".

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Another strange behavior:

Boot your system, and let it reach the login screen.

Walk away from your computer long enough to let the hard drives go to sleep.

When you come back and attempt to login, the login window will wait for the hard drives to spin up before accepting your login keystrokes!

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by szark
Another strange behavior:

Boot your system, and let it reach the login screen.

Walk away from your computer long enough to let the hard drives go to sleep.

When you come back and attempt to login, the login window will wait for the hard drives to spin up before accepting your login keystrokes!

this is exactly the sort of thing that annoys me about my computer. If its so multitasking then why does it have to wait for the hard disks for tasks that aren't reading or writing hard drives.

Rower, I shall try that but my computer is on a lot and i don't want my hard disks dying left right and centre.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I don't think there's much to worry about. My workstation (dual 1GHz MDD) at work is on 24/7, no disk sleepage...no signs of disk problems.

If you have cheaper hard drives, then maybe, but I still don't think it's a big deal. You do backup regularly, don't you? ;)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Having the disks constantly spin up is more stressful to them than leaving them spinning all the time. However, if they're going to be spinning with no point for a few hours, then spin them down (you can use Cocktail to do that)

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
I have 2 IBM's and the 200gb is a Maxtor.

I back up onto the maxtor, thats the problem I have about 150gb of stuff I need to backup so thats why I have the maxtor. I guess its unlikely that more than one hard drive will die at any one time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.