Hard drive noise on alu MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stanleyBE, Nov 11, 2008.

1. stanleyBE macrumors member

I changed the hard drive in my new MacBook, put in a WD Scorpio 500GB.

This caused it to make more noise than the stock hard drive, so I put some rubber between the drive and the upper part of the chassis (the keyboard side). It's more silent now.
    Would this be harmful for the drive?
    I'm betting the drive won't be getting as hot as to melt the rubber? :)

2. FaisalQ macrumors newbie

Nah, stanley dont worry about it, rubber has a melting point of 67 degress celsius. Hard drives dont even go near that temperature so your safe. ;)

3. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

I have the WD 500GB as well! And get some really bad sounds.

Did you get the clicking sound every 6 seconds or so? The head parking itself. It is getting frustrating to say the least.

4. stanleyBE thread starter macrumors member

I have the clicking sound too, it's normal. Not that loud here, though, and definitely not every 6 seconds. More like every minute...
    Maybe it's now also muffled by the rubber - works a charm.

You can change your power management so your disk won't park its head, but it would probably do your battery consumption no good.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Can you post some pics? My factory 250GB is just making the running noise, and rather than take it back, I would like to try the rubber option. It would help me greatly if you could post pics of what you used and where you positioned them. Thanks!!

6. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

I'm amazed at how silent the Fujitsu 250GB stock drive is in my 2.4ghz Alu Macbook. I've never had a drive that was this quiet and didn't have vibrations. Even if I hold my hands/fingers over and under the area where the HD is I can't feel anything even during large file transfers.

Maybe I'm lucky and the stock HD is really well secured??

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Mine is a Toshiba. Does anybody else with a Toshiba HDD have any noise issues? It's not really an issue, but all these people are talking about how silent theirs are, and I can constantly hear mine running...

8. stanleyBE thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I don't have a camera, but I'll try to explain as clearly as possible.

If you turn your MacBook and take out the hard drive, you'll notice there's quite some space underneath it. You'll have to fill that space up; I think it's about 5 mm. I combined 2 pieces of hard rubber I found in the bottom drawer, I think they came with a set of bicycle lights.

I placed them right underneath the round metal part showing at the bottom of the drive (this is the center of the drive).
    You will see that the rubber is thick enough if, when you put the drive back in and before you screw the brace back on, the screws on the side of the drive float and don't touch their seatings. This way, mounting it will ensure the rubber is squeezed. Don't be afraid to put some pressure on it.

9. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

As long as your not covering the breather hole then that should be fine.

10. walldawg84 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I recently bought a 320GB 2,5" WD Scorpio WD3200BEVT SATA 5400rpm 8MB for my blackbook, and managed to install it and get it running ok despite not having a clue beforehand.

I have been hearing what I can only describe as a clicking sound coming from the hard drive. From what I was reading above this seems to happen when the 'head is parking'? I'm pretty sure that that's ok, but it does kinda freak me out that it might harm the disk in some way? possible? It's quite an off-putting sound when you're not used to it!!

Also, stanley, you said something about being able to prevent the hard drive parking the head, and it's effect on battery consumption. What would be the cost/benefit of stopping the head parking, and to what degree does it affect the battery consumption?

11. stanleyBE thread starter macrumors member