Hard drive noise? (OS X vs. Windows format)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NRose8989, Jun 13, 2008.

1. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I have a boot camp partition on my MBP and when i boot into windows, the hard drive make little clicking noises when accessing the disk. is this because of the format? just curious, thanks

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would seriously doubt it. I think the format is just a software-level thing, which wouldn't have anything to do with how the drive is read physically. But I could be wrong.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Lots of laptop drives have that annoying annoying clicking noise. If you read the back of the actual drive there is a sticker stating that its normal. (happens a lot on samsung drives)

4. NRose8989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But doesn't it seem odd that it only does that when using windows? when i'm in my mac side, it's dead silent. does anyone else experience these effects?

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

different OSs, different power management workings.

OSX may send different signals to the HD than windows. My drives is louder in windows too. Its always been this way. Its just how the drive interacts with the OS software power management.

There is nothing you can do about it.

6. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

Do you have windows desktop search installed or using Vista?

On a virgin Windows install it takes quite a bit of time for the drive to get fully indexed, especially if you have quite a few files. Thus what you might be hearing is WDS indexing when the computer is idle.

I say this, because WDS on XP and Vista is infamous for Hard drive thrashing until the drive gets indexed.

7. NRose8989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, i just have a plain copy of XP Pro then the apple drivers and some games. i only use windows for games....