Hard drive noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stupendousboi, Apr 25, 2011.

1. stupendousboi macrumors newbie

Hi, i recently got a macbook pro 13 2.3.
    When i first got it it did not make any hard drive noise as far as i could tell.
    But now whenever it is quiet i can hear a very small on and off clicking from the right side of the laptop. Is this normal?
    Also, in my activity monitor under active processes, the list fluctuates like every other second, is that normal as well?
    thank you

2. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

The clicking is very common on HDDs, that's why most people adopt to SSDs, they are virtually noiseless, twice as fast, and has less power consumption.

I had the same issue on my MBP that I sold, May I ask when this issue occurs? Does it happen randomly or when exposed to movement? Is it a continuous noise or just a one click sound?

3. stupendousboi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, it happens randomly. It's not just one loud click but a succession of small little clicks that can't be heard unless its totally silent.

4. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

That is absolutely fine, all hard drives make this type of noise due to physical movement within them. They are rotating drives, which means every time the disc spins, sometimes it will encounter noise, all my HDDs have behaved this way and there is nothing to worry about it, it's just the way it works. Especially in a quiet environment, it would be more noticeable. If you are really worried about this issue, replace it with an SSD and it'll be dead silent.

5. stupendousboi thread starter macrumors newbie

you guys are awesome! thanks for all the info. It's my first mac/laptop so I've been freaking out about everything haha.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

As said, most of them 'chatter', and some people describe them as a click, some a hum, some a whine, and some say they don't make noise like me because of my hearing abilities. If it gets louder, or changes pitch/frequency that is not normal and then you want to replace it.