Hard drive noise.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by streetfoldsfive, Jul 28, 2013.

1. streetfoldsfive macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

It seems out of the blue my hard drive is making a weird sort of noise. sort of creaky or a clicking noise. It was never there before and showed up once i started updating team fortress 2. Anyone have any ideas?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Its probably a sign that the HDD is about to stop working. I'd make sure you have a proper back up and seek to get it replaced.

3. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Is it possibly a sign of the hard drive working since steam is usually never opened and i do have the fusion drive? I just don't know if its a natural hard drive noise or not.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, if you hear a clicking or other non-normal noise, its physical breakdown of the drive occurring. There is a difference between that noise and the noise of a drive being written to and read from.

5. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Well i'm backed up. The only thing is I don't want to bring it to the apple store and realize its nothing. Also my GPu goes up to about 140 Fahrenheit and hard drive about 115 and the fans stay at 1200 rpm. All while playing team fortress. Normal??

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

Are you sure it's not a fan bearing being a bit funky?

7. Bear macrumors G3

Without hearing the noise it's hard to say if it's just the fact that you kicked into major hard drive use instead of mostly (or just) the SSD.

Those temps sound fine. And just back your system up regularly. You'll find out soon enough if it's an issue or just the normal drive sounds.