Hard Drive Noise

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maclare, Feb 13, 2009.

1. maclare macrumors newbie

I have a mac I purchased in late 07, its just like the aluminium iMac's selling now. Recently I have been noticing that the hardrive is giving out this kind of hoovering noise, it comes and goes.

Now I I have paid the $160 for the extended warranty but now I'm thinking of doing it. I haven't had any issues with my mac, just that sound that keeps coming from my iMac, Should I be worried :eek:

2. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

Hoovering sound? like an alien ship? or a vacuum?

if you are hearing lots intermittent loud click and whirs or a continous "ehehehehehehehehehe" screeching sound, then you should be worried.

3. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Back up your data. Now. Don't make the mistake I made of trying to fix the computer/drive and then losing everything on the drive because you should've been trying to get as much off it while it was still kind of working before the click-whirr of death started.

Of course, it might be nothing, but backup drives are cheap. Replacing your data is not.

4. maclare thread starter macrumors newbie

at first its like a hovering sounds. I don't know what a spaceship sounds like so I can't compare it. :D

or kind like the enterprise sounds in start trek you know the hover sounds. Anyhow this morning it sounded really loud as I was standing right next to the imac... I'm going to spring for the apple care warranty since I don't want anything to break.

I don't get any clicks or in between clicks just the occasional hover sound. The imac also heats up quite a bit even when the room is freakin cold.