Hard drive not being recognized

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Metori, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Metori macrumors newbie

Ok I'm scared I'm going to post this and it's already somewhere in the forums but I've been searching for a few hours now, all over google too but can't find any thread with quite the same problem I have. So sorry if this is somewhere else. I'm a new Mac convert too, about a month :)

My problem is I have an Apacer sharesteno 80GB hard drive and it's not working, now it has worked before mounted and could read write just fine on OS X. Although I made the mistake of using a USB cable that connects to not only the usb port but also the charging port on the drive, it has an internal battery, which caused OS X to deactivate the port I was using on my Apple Keyboard because it was using to much current. Now before I found if I unplugged the keyboard and plugged it back in it would reset and I could use that port. And the drive would work fine after unplugging the cable from the power port.

I then didn't use the drive for a couple of weeks and today I wanted to use it so plugged it in being careful not have the power cable plugged in too and nothing happened. The drive wouldn't mount.

So I went looking for it in Disk Utility but it wasn't there. I then went searching for a solution on google but couldn't find anything that matched. Tried the drive on a Windows computer I have and it read it fine. I also checked for errors on the drive. Windows found none. I thought that would have fixed it being able to mount the drive on a different computer but when I took it back to my iMac it still didn't show up.

I went looking for the drive in all the places I knew it could possibly show up on a Unix OS but couldn't find it. The only place I can find it is if I go into System profiler and under USB in the Keyboard hub I can see that OS X nows that it's plugged in but it doesn't seem to know it's a hard drive.

It gives me this information:
    Version
    Bus Power
    Speed
    Product ID
    Serial number
    Vendor ID

but no other information like it would give if you were looking at a hard drive. E.g Capacity

If anyone can help or nows how to get OS X to tell it's a hard drive it would be appreciated.

Hope I've given useful information and it's not too long :p

Thanks

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Welcome to the world of mac!

Do you have another computer you could plug the drive in? See if it's detected? Do you here the drive spin up when it's plugged in

3. Metori thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I explained above tried it on my other computer which is a windows computer and it worked fine. Drives spin up and everything, it as a simple file navigation feature built into the drive too which is used to copy file to other storage devices without a computer that sees the hard drive too.

OS X just won't recognize it as a hard drive or something like that possibly, I don't really know what could be causing it. I assume it must be something I did by mistake some how.

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Sorry about that, i missread your post

Other usb devices work? When it's plugged into your mac it spins up? But it's not detected?

Whats it say under the USB devices section in System profiler? You could plug it in and boot off your OS X cd and see if disk utility picks it up there, you may have a problem with your install