Hard drive not detected

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wazachabot, Oct 27, 2010.

1. wazachabot macrumors newbie

Hi,

four days ago my macbook pro stopped working while I was doing internet. I had to shut it down but it never booted up again. I tried multiple times to format it with disk utility but it never worked utile at my .... 25th attempt, disk utility finaly detected it so i formated it but when I tried to install osx, the disk couldn't be detected just as before.

I though that my HD was dead so i bought a new western digital scorpio blue 320 GB 5400 rpm. Now, it's the same story as before, my new hard drive is never recognize by the installation cd...

I dont know what to do now. I'm exhausted to try the same things again and again.

If anyone has a solution PLEASE !!! HELP ME.

more infos:

- The drive is turning (it has power)

- With my first HD, i couldn't open the OSX partition but i could open the Windows partition.

- With my new HD in, the installation cd of OSX AND windows cant detect the hard drive.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I had a similar issue before with a PowerBook.

It ended up being a Logic Board problem -- specifically the part that interfaces with the hard drive. The solution was to replace the Logic Board.

3. wazachabot thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG !!! this is my worst fear. are you ssur it could be a logic board problem cause i can boot on the installation cd and use all the fonctions correctly.

I'm trying to install a bootable partition on a external hard drive to see if it really come from the internal hard drive.

Is it really possible that my logic board fail that way after only 13 months ??

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It all sounds so familiar. I could boot from the CD, and could install the OS on an external HDD as well. I could also install the OS on the internal and it would work for a while and then it would crash.

On a side note I lost a bit of data during this time which is why I religiously back up my data now.

The best thing to do would be to have Apple look at your computer. That way you'll know for sure and be able to get a correctly functioning computer.

5. wazachabot thread starter macrumors newbie

i just called apple and they told me it might be a logic board problem and even if it is not on warranty anymore, they could still cover it because it is an unusuale problem. But at first i have to go make a diagnostic of the probleme at an apple certified center and then they will tell me what they can do to help me.

I just hope they will cover it because the cost of a logic board is the same price as a brand new pc notebook...

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good news!

Please let us know how it works out for you. Hopefully the Logic Board replacement will solve the issue.

7. Techboy9 macrumors newbie

Unusual problem while installing MacOs X on a PC

I have spent more than 4 hours trying to built a hackintosh on my PC computer and it seems I can't find a way to get rid of the following problem.

I have a --i7 /Nvidia/ GigaByte mainboard/3 Gb ram/ 2hard disks -- desktop pc and I want to boot my second HDisk with Mac, leaving the primary unchanged.
    But while it seems I fill the criteria needed for doing the Hackintosh, everything goes great until I initialize the Unibeast and I am asked to choose the disk to Install the MacOs.THERE IS NO OPTION IN THE BOX...IT IS EMPTY...HDisk LIKE IT DOESN'T EXIST.

What have I done so far:
    1. Unplugged my primary HD for safety
    2.made the Bios changes needed except setting to default options (I believe it is not needed)
    3.SOS -- i THINK that the prob has something to do with the fact that windows are keeping a copy of the Recycle bin in the secondary HD, while not needed to.In that direction, tried everything to delete all system files from secondary disk (failed to do)/tried from cmd(failed to do)/and then unplugged the secondary ,plugged the primary and realized that the existence of that damn system file (recycle bin copy) is not important at all.

I can say many things that I have tried but ti will get boring.The main thing is : no option for a disk to install Mac os (p.s. tried the primary and it is recognized)

Finally....Super sorry for the long post.
    Thanks in advance.