Hard drive not found on computer

cuzo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I installed a hard drive in a macbook pro but the hard drive isn't showing up when I try to do a fresh install, what needs to be done?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I installed a hard drive in a macbook pro but the hard drive isn't showing up when I try to do a fresh install, what needs to be done?
You need to use disk utility and format the drive correctly.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
sounds like the drive is not connected properly or has some strange formatting on it. Sounds like you are installing a 2nd HDD, so I suspect wrong cable or wrong disk type.

cuzo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
sounds like the drive is not connected properly or has some strange formatting on it. Sounds like you are installing a 2nd HDD, so I suspect wrong cable or wrong disk type.
It's a 2009

I read the hard drive cables usually go bad on these. It only has one hard drive but the hard drive isn't being found in the disk ulitily window.

It's a regular notebook sata hard drive.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
try to see if the HDD works on some other pc, if it works its fine, the problem then is on the notebook, either cable or mobo

cuzo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
try to see if the HDD works on some other pc, if it works its fine, the problem then is on the notebook, either cable or mobo
hard drive works fine on my windows pc, doesn't work on macbook pro. I figured the cable is bad.

I don't know any software to test out the mac like geek squad mri disk.

Do you know any?

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
you can try the apple hardware test

booting in safe mode as you may notice needs something to boot from

kjb0419

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2013
Sacramento
Where is it installed? If you installed it in the primary drive you may have not gotten the connector snuggly in there. You can try making sure it's in there and if it still doesn't work you could try getting a usb sata adapter (some HD come with one) and plugging it into another computer to format it.

If you're installing it in the optical bay slot you may have just gotten a faulty caddy and/or might have forgotten to reconnect all of the wires (there are quite a few).