Hard Drive Not Mounting (erasing a dead drive)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KettyKrueger, Apr 15, 2009.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi all,

Is there any way to force mount an external hard drive?

Basically, my 'Seagate Freeagent For Mac' 1TB external is not mounting correctly.

It's visable in 'System Profiler' (under Firewire 'unknown device' is listed) but other than that, it's not recognised by my Mac at all.

I can hear the drive spinning up and down but it won't power down with my system, like it used to. I've tried changing the FW cable, tried connecting with USB, tried different Mac, tried connect directly to Mac (had to daisychained) and I've tried giving it a good whack (usually works a treat with electrical equipment!).

I could send it away for repair but I have sensative data on there that I would like to erase before parting ways.

I guess I want to know if I can force mount it and/or erase it before sending it away for repair.

Many thanks in advance.

KK.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Does it appear in disk utility? You could download a trial copy of Data Rescue 2 to see if it can detect the drive.

3. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Nope. Would Data Rescue be any use if it's not shown in Disk Utility?

I think I may have tried to locate a trial of DR2 but I think they may have finished giving trials away.

4. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Failing that, anyone any idea how to open a Seagate Freeagent For Mac external drive?

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

This sounds like a controller failure, not a hard drive failure. If it's under warranty, send it back to Seagate. Otherwise, pull the drive and connect it using another controller.

I don't buy canned drives from the drive makers any more (e.g., Seagate, WD, etc) because they often skimp out on their enclosures. For me, I generally buy only Macally, Rosewill or OWC enclosures, then put the drive of my choice in it.

6. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Yeah, I'm starting to think that too! In fact, can anyone recommend a multi-bay firewire enclosure?

Also this is the drive in question, is there anyway to tell if I need an IDE enclosure or SATA? I've got two of these drives and I might just bang them in a multi-bay enclosure.

FWIW, Disk Rescue didn't detect the drive!

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you're wanting RAID, check with OWC for sure.

If it's the 1 or 1.5 TB model then it's SATA. If it's the 500 GB model then it's likely SATA, but could be PATA. Only way to know for sure is to crack it open.

If the controller has failed, DRII won't be able to see the drive (which supports the hypothesis that it's the controller).

You should also think about picking up a Universal Drive Adapter. I use mine quite often - best $30 I've spent.

8. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Very useful post, thank you.

Never heard of a Universal Drive Adaptor before, they look amazingly useful!! I should buy one of those!

It's the 1TB version so should be SATA.

I'm wondering if I could take the drive out of the enclosure, erase it using a Univ. Adaptor, then place it back send it off for a warranty replacement??

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

There are no PATA hard drives larger than 750 gb.

If they can tell you opened it, it will certainly void your warranty. Might be worth a call or email to them to explain what's up with it and get their advice (which likely will be to send it in).

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

11. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

I don't fancy paying $99! They don't seem to do a free trail, which is a shame. Is there a free alternative to Disk Warrior?

12. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: Hard drive not mounting

"Basically, my 'Seagate Freeagent For Mac' 1TB external is not mounting correctly.
    It's visable in 'System Profiler' (under Firewire 'unknown device' is listed) but other than that, it's not recognised by my Mac at all.
    I can hear the drive spinning up and down but it won't power down with my system, like it used to. I've tried changing the FW cable, tried connecting with USB, tried different Mac, tried connect directly to Mac (had to daisychained) and I've tried giving it a good whack (usually works a treat with electrical equipment!)."

You've probably already taken care of this, but...

Are you trying to use the power of the firewire port to "power up" the Seagate drive, OR, does it have its own power supply?

If you've been trying to use the drive withOUT the power supply, try using it WITH the power supply and see if that makes a difference...

- John

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It's a 3.5" drive. It cannot be powered by the bus.

14. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Yep, as Caveman said, it's powered.

After spending a couple of hours research, I think I may opt for a Drobo. For £399 I can get the FW version with free Network adaptor thing.