Hard drive not recognized?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wiz329, Sep 23, 2013.

1. wiz329, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

wiz329 macrumors 6502a

I have a 4TB Seagate Desktop HDD, which I have connected to my mid 2009 Macbook Pro via an old Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex dock (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeA...&qid=1379982411&sr=1-10&keywords=seagate+dock), using FW 800. It has started to behave sporadically lately though -- it will work fine for about 15-20 minutes, then it will essentially freeze up. No files can be copied, and it won't be ejected. However, if I just pull the plug, and plug it back in, its fine again (for awhile).

I wasn't sure if this was because of a hardware or software issue (corrupted file, perhaps, causing some sort of read/write error?), but I didn't want to take any chances -- some of the information is not backed up elsewhere. So I went ahead and bought an identical drive, along with a JacobsParts USB3.0 SATA dock to connect it to my macbook pro. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2WMPOA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

After babysitting it the past few days (it had a couple of "freezing" episodes), I managed to copy all of my data over new the new drive. However, I seem to have a problem. When I swapped HDDs (from the Seagate Dock to the JacobsParts dock, and vice versa), the drives won't show up on my system. I get the "The drive you inserted is not readable by this computer" message. But when I switch them back, OS X recognizes them just fine.

Any clue why would this be?

I have uploaded some screenshots.

I noticed that when the drives are not recognized, the partition scheme is shown as MBR. Why would this be, when they are formatted as GUID?

Attached Files:

2. Rian Gray macrumors regular

Rian Gray

Last time I had similar issue with my hdds, within a week or so, it ended up dying. Some of the problems can be dealt with via softwares, but it will only delay the "catastrophe" that is always coming. You might want to look into drive management/repair softwares, like drive genius. These softwares can pick up any errors or hardware issues that may be helpful to guess how much lifespan does HDD have left.