Hard Drive Not Showing Up On Install - USB Disk Tool?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jswole14, Jan 3, 2017.

1. jswole14 macrumors newbie

Hey all - recently bought a new hard drive to install Mac OS on and the hard drive is not showing up on the installer. I do not have a mac desktop to just plug in and format drive. I do have a windows pc and macbook pro. I was wondering if there was a tool to use via usb that could format and partiton the drive for me?

Thanks!

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Connect the new drive to the MacBook Pro. Launch the Disk Utility app in the Applications/Utilities folder and Erase (format) the new drive (select drive name) for Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Now your Installer will be able to see the new drive since it formatted for the Mac.

3. jswole14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks alot - actually ended up buying a USB to Sata extension to connect to working macbook. Turns out the hard drive was not compatible for some reason. Its an early mac 2012. The drive i tried was 7200/32mb cache/6gb. Weird thing is it would show up in disk utility but not installer. However take that same drive and put it in my macbook 2011 shows up in installer. Lol some weird glitch. Am ordering 5400 rpm drive to fix..

4. jswole14 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK seeing if anyone has an answer to this problem..... I am stumped

So bought a new 5400k drive. 8mb buffer. ok. After being formatted the drive shows up in the installer, which is a step further than the previous hard drive. It would show up in disk utility but not on actual installer.

Ok so when trying to install the macos on the new drive, I am prompted with the error: OS X Could Not be Installed on your computer - Unable to unmount volume for repair. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

Sooo I took the drive out of the computer it wasnt working in and put it into my macbook. The macbook with the issue is a 2012 13" macbook pro. My macbook is a 2011 13" macbook pro. I install the macos from my computer just fine, a ok. Take the hard drive I just installed the macos on and put it back into problem computer.

Problem computer gives error message with this drive which is the circle with the line through it. Lol wtf. I say this because I can take the current hard drive i use and put it into the problem mac and it works just fine. Haha I do not understand this ****....