Hard drive not showing up!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Stuipdboy1000, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

I got home from a two week holiday this morning and I turned on my MacBook. I thought everything was normal until I noticed my external drive hadn't popped up on the desktop. I thought nothing of it. My hard drive did this sometimes. So I powered down my MacBook and unplugged the drive. I started up the Mac again and then tried to plug in my external drive. It still wasn't working. I have been trying everything for the past few hours trying to fix it but it just won't show up. I can feel it vibrating from the disks inside and it is heating up like it usually does (did?). Could anyone advise me what to do?

2. mtfield macrumors 6502

Sounds like the drive might be dead... have you checked the ports? perhaps one of your ports or the hard drive ports died? If the disk did crash you can pick up disk warrior and see if that can mend the drive... best of luck

3. Stuipdboy1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

Dang. That'll mean I'll have to rip all my movies and Tv shows again. But really, do you think the drive could be dead as it hasn't even been on or even powered up in 2 weeks?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

That shouldn't be the cause for dead disks. My old PC has a hard drive from like 5+ years ago savaged from another computer. It still powers up even though I haven't turn it on since .... about a year or so ago.