Hard drive on 13" Macbook Pro Larger Than Specs Ordered

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pinoyboxer, Sep 11, 2009.

1. pinoyboxer macrumors newbie

I purchased the entry level 13" 2.26 2gb 160hd Macbook Pro yesterday over the phone with next day delivery. Got it today, label on box and receipt gave the same specs. Powered it up, everything fine, but as I checked the hard drive it actually has 250gb. It is a Fujitsu MJA2250BH FFS G1 Model. I have a few concerns (aside from the initial joy of having a free upgrade).
    Should I contact Apple and let them know? (possible outcomes?)
    If I say nothing will this void my warranty as all documentation says it is a 160gb hd (this leaves me inclined to contact Apple).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It happens (relatively) often, especially if you buy a refurb. Hard drives are one of the owner-replaceable parts, so swapping out a hard drive (via Apple or yourself) wouldn't void the warranty.

3. bluespark macrumors 65816

This is correct. Apple treats the hard drive size as a minimum specification, meaning that it will substitute a larger one whenever it has reason to do so. I imagine that this is usually done for inventory reasons (i.e., it may help Apple achieve a larger order size for lower unit price, the specified drive may be out of stock, etc.). It's probably not an accident, and there is no downside to you. Enjoy!

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

The only problem is, if you have to send in your MBP for repairs and they replace your machine... you might go back to the regular spec that the machine was sold to you with...