Hard drive only works from external enclosure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by biglsky, Sep 17, 2011.

1. biglsky macrumors newbie

I just recently replaced my macbook pro 250gb hard drive with a 128gb ssd drive, because the old one was going bad. When I tried to setup the ssd drive it was unable to partition at all, until I set hooked it up via usb with an external hard drive enclosure. After installing Snow Leopard and having everything going smoothly, I put it back in the hard drive bay, but now when it turns on nothing comes up except a white screen with a folder with a question mark. I switched it back into the external case and it boots up and works fine that way. I checked the hard drive ribbon cable to for tears or anything but it seems fine so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working when put in the macbook. Also the old hard drive is still recognized in internally and externally but I cannot do much with it as OS installs fail and everything moves extremely slow. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop now :confused:. Any input would be very helpful!! Thanks

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

3. GrayEagle macrumors newbie

perhaps

Try pressing alt when power on, then select startup disk might help?

If that works, select startup disk in system preferences(lower right corner).

4. biglsky thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I formatted it when hooked up externally with 1 partition and it was working fine...I'm able to use all the programs. But then when I set it up internally nothing...
    I can press alt with the os x disk in and the hard drive pops up but then it just brings me to the os x disc menu. When I go to choose startup disk it will let me click it but then says "You can't change the startup disk to the selected disk. The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk"

5. GrayEagle macrumors newbie

as you might already know, the startup disk must have a 'GUID primary partition map'?

6. biglsky thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, It's GUID partitioned and .everything is being done right as far as I know...When I try to erase or reformat when it is hooked up internally it says that I cannot unmount it even when running off the os x disc. I might just try to buy a hard drive caddy for the superdrive and hook it up there to see if it will work instead since my SSD is sata II I don't think it would be a problem if it works.

7. thalt006 macrumors newbie

same problem

Any luck with the new internal hard drive? I seem to be having the same exact problem. Loaded the OS on my new hd through usb which is the only thing that seems to be working, and nothing when i put it back internally. Just wondering what you ended up doing????