Hard Drive Opinion and Need Recs for Ethernet

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spitefire, Aug 10, 2008.

1. spitefire macrumors newbie

Hard drive: Best GB, best performing and somewhat inexpensive one you know? I was considering getting the "G-Tech 500GB G-DRIVE Q Quad Interface Hard Drive" but I'd like to save some money if I can.

I need recommendations for an ethernet cable etc. that I can use to transfer files from my PC to new MBP? Preferably something at store.apple.com website.

Thanks.

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I use Seagate drives only, since they have a 5yr warranty. Other World Computing has a great Firewire/USB 2.0 DIY enclosure kit with a Seagate 500GB hard drive, and all you have to do is put it together. Check it out here.

If you are looking for an ethernet cable, any one will do, and you can get one cheaper from a local computer store. If you want to connect directly to both computers, you will need a "crossover" cable. If you are going through a router or ethernet hub, you'll just need a regular ethernet cable.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's been years since Apples have required a crossover cable. The Ethernet ports on all recent Macs are auto sensing.

As far as a drive goes, I recommend getting a good quality external SATA/Firewire or SATA/USB enclosure like an OWC, Vantec or MacAlly, and then installing the 'internal' hard drive of your choice - shop for the best price on the drive, Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung or Hitachi.

This giives you the full manufacturer's warranty on the drive mechanism, and allows you to move the drive between enclosures and machines without voiding the warranty.