Hard drive options for new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MarkCombs, Feb 24, 2008.

1. MarkCombs macrumors member

I just bought a new mac pro and do lots of Photoshop and want to swap out the stock 320 gig drive. I'm leaning towards 2 ultra fast Seagate 1 TB drives in a raid 0 configuration. The Raptor noise level scares me a bit.

Anything negative to say about the Seagate drives? Any other configs?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Get the ES2 version (Server grade) I have 4 of them in RAID 5 and 1 more for Time Machine. They are very quiet. No problems so far..... (knock wood)

3. GotPro macrumors 6502

Hitachi, Hitachi, Hitachi...

If you want to see just how fast the Seagate drives are *NOT*... take a peek over at anandtech's review:

(You'll notice how stellar the Hitachi performs in it's place, however)...

Slow A$$ Seagates and Western Digitals

4. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

IMO, the qualify of seagate is far more superior than all the hard drives available on the market. I rather have a HDD last vs a super fast one. Seagates usually have 3-5 year warranty and none of my dozens of Seagates have died. WD and Maxtor is just awful.

5. MarkCombs thread starter macrumors member

Hitachi drives

I did look at the AnandTech site and the Hitachi drives look like they might be a good option. Any opinion on the two? Seagate or Hitachi? I guess I'm splitting hairs here....

Thanks,
    Mark

6. MarkCombs thread starter macrumors member

BeatFeats

Bare Feats had a boot drive writeup this weekend. They seem to really like the WD and the Samsung drive for boot drives....

Mark

7. MarkCombs thread starter macrumors member