Hard Drive Partition/Disk Image Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ravenandcrow, Nov 17, 2009.

1. ravenandcrow macrumors newbie

I want to partition my hard drive so I can run Boot Camp, and my PowerBook is giving me the following message: The Disk Cannot be Partitioned because Some Files Cannot be Moved.

So I'm assuming I need to format the whole thing and then partition with Boot Camp. Totally open to other ideas, but, assuming I move forward with that, is the best was to save user settings, current Applications, data stored on the drive, etc. to create a disk image on an external drive?

I've done that, but I'm sort of unclear on what I do with the disk image after I've wiped the drive and partitioned it up.

Any help any of you can give is über appreciated.

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have a PowerBook, you can't run Windows via Boot Camp, as the PowerBook doesn't use an x86 CPU, but a PPC CPU.
    Windows requires, so does Boot Camp to be run on an Intel x86 CPU, only present in MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

As to backing up, you can use CarbonCopyCloner to copy/clone your entire HDD to another drive, which you can later use to migrate data from with the Migration Assistant.

Also, which software is giving you the error message?

3. ravenandcrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Apologies. It's actually a MacBook Pro - 2.2 GHz Intel Dual Core. Boot Camp is giving me the error message.

So, I can't migrate data creating an image via Disk Utility, then?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know if you can create an image via Disk Utility for your entire stuff/data, but if so, you could create a problem, as that image might get corrupt, and then all the data might be lost.

CarbonCopyCloner is free and works fine for what you want to do. You can also create an Archive and Install during the re-installation.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710
    [​IMG]

5. ravenandcrow thread starter macrumors newbie