Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChekMayt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I was trying to back up my MacBook to a WD 1TB external drive. It has already been used on my wife's iMac running OSX Tiger. It has had no problems. When I plugged it into my MacBook, it started freaking out immediately, and slowly creating folder after folder on my desktop. Eventually I had 46 folders that were all named the name of the hard drive.

I tried to repair disk, and erase disk and partition the disk - but none of them would work. With partitioning, I get the error message: Partition failed with error: POSIX report directory does not exist. Any ideas? Thanks

- Total Noob

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
I was trying to back up my MacBook to a WD 1TB external drive. It has already been used on my wife's iMac running OSX Tiger. It has had no problems. When I plugged it into my MacBook, it started freaking out immediately, and slowly creating folder after folder on my desktop. Eventually I had 46 folders that were all named the name of the hard drive.

I tried to repair disk, and erase disk and partition the disk - but none of them would work. With partitioning, I get the error message: Partition failed with error: POSIX report directory does not exist. Any ideas? Thanks

- Total Noob

So if it has no problems on your wife's computer and you can afford to erase it then go ahead and try erasing it on your wife's computer where it works fine. If that works then try plugging it in to your MacBook.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.