Hard drive partition question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tl01, Dec 2, 2012.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

If you only have one partition, does it make a difference if you zero out the partition or the actual HD listed in disk utility? Im thinking for security purposes. Thanks!

2. DockMac macrumors regular

When the OS "deletes" files, it doesn't actually delete them. All the OS does is make it so that block of space can be written over. Your files are still on the HD until it is "zeroed out" or a file is written over it.

If you are concerned about security, you should zero it out. If you are paranoid , you should do multiple passes. Be forewarned, it seems exponentially longer the more passes you do, one pass is usually good enough.

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I totally understand that... But should I choose the partition or the actual drive from disk utility? I alread zeroed out the partition 7 times... But I'm thinking I should have done the HD icon itself instead. All the articles I have read refer to them as being the same except for one that said that zeroing out just the partition may leave some data.

4. ubertome macrumors newbie

Does this one partition take up the entirety of the hard drive? If so, then you've already zeroed out the whole drive.

5. DockMac macrumors regular

LOL. I misread your OP. If you have nothing on the drive, I would zero out the drive as a precaution. But if you have files, on another partition, I wouldn't worry about it.

6. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816