Hard Drive Partitions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrjaja, Oct 20, 2007.

1. mrjaja macrumors newbie

mrjaja

If I partition an external Hard Drive into two, will two seperate "devices" show up in the Finder?

Also, the Time Machine FAQ didn't seem to address this, but could I set one partition as my Time Machine back-up drive and the other partition just for other files?

My plan is to get a 500GB Hard Drive, with my soon to be MacBook, and partition around 400GB for Time Machine and leave 100GB in another partition for video files etc.

Thanks a million in advance :)

2. rmh macrumors regular

I can answer this part with yes. Will Time Machine work with this setup? I'm not sure. I'll leave that part to someone else who actually knows what they are talking about.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes to both questions. Just remember that you don't get a full 500GB of storage with a 500GB drive...

4. TheZA macrumors regular

This is the exact same question I was coming up with. Buying a 500 G hard drive and partitioning. Here's what I'm thinking now:

I'll only have two partitions: one for the clone of my current Tiger configuration, and one for Time Machine. I don't think you need a partition to save other files, because Time Machine will save those other files. But here is the current question:

Do you make three partitions so you can also clone Leapard since the Time Machine backup is not bootable? I'm thinking not becuase although it isn't bootable, you can recover from it somehow.

I would greatly appreciate other opinions.

5. TheZA macrumors regular

Oh duh, that is what I should do.

Two partitions: clone and backup. Clone is the clone of Tiger until I know I have Leopard all up and running peachy keen. Then I clone Leopard rendition over into that partition. The backup partition is for Time Machine.

Thoughts?

6. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Just as a point of data, Time Machine backup data can coexist on a volume alongside regular data files, so there's no strict need to partition the drive into two volumes just for Time Machine.

There can be compelling non-technical reasons for doing so, but there's no fundamental reason why this would be necessary.