Hard drive problem on new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Luis Ortega, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

In the past three days, I noticed that when I started my new mac pro there was a repeated clicking sound while it was booting up. The first couple of times it lasted about 4 clicks and then started up normally.
    Today, It clicked for about 10-15 times and then finally booted up but a window came up that said that a hard drive was not able to be recognized by the computer and offered me the option to initialize it. When I did, disk utility came up and I noticed that it was the media drive I have in bay three that was not accessible, but it did not allow me to do any erasing, partitioning, verification etc. because all the options were grayed out for that drive.
    I restarted the computer (again with repeated clicking) but this time the media drive was not even visible in disk utility and no warnings or options to initialize the drive appeared.
    I opened the case and removed and reseated the drive and tried again and got some clicking and then the drive appeared in Finder. I ran disk utility to verify and repair the drive but it reported no problems.
    Can anyone please advise on what might be wrong?
    And where I could find some utility that will actually check the drive to see if it is faulty?
    I have 4 drives in the computer. Is is OK to switch bays with the drives to test whether the drive or the bay might be at fault? I don't want to damage any other drives if putting it into a faulty bay might cause problems.
    Is there any utility that can be used to check if the bay itself is faulty?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's OK to switch bays.
    The bay his highly unlikely to be the problem - it only consists of a power connection and a SATA connection - there's no practical way it can damage a drive.
    Clicking is usually the sign of a dying mechanism.
    Proceed on the assumption that this mechanism has died.

I presume you backed up all data from it as soon as you heard the first clicks?

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your quick reply.
    It's a brand new drive that I was going to use for captured video so there is nothing on it to lose yet.
    It's a Barracuda 7200.11 750 gb with the 32mb cache. I bought another drive, a 750gb WD RE drive with 16mb cache at the same time as a scratch disk. I wanted to spread out my choice of drives in case one brand was louder or better than the other. Maybe I should replace it with a WD rather than another Barracuda?
    If I put in in another bay and it clicks, I should definitely assume that it's the drive?