Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheYankees1903, Mar 5, 2011.

1. TheYankees1903, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

TheYankees1903 macrumors regular

I have a Western Digital WD5000BEVT 500GB hard drive which I connect to my Unibody MacBook Pro to store files. After not using the hard drive for a few days (during which time it took a small fall) I am unable to use the drive.

When I plug the drive into my Mac (via either USB 2.0 or FireWire) I receive a message saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.", but the computer is readable by Disk Utility. When I open Disk Utility it shows the drive as a 2.2 TB drive (which is odd) and that the drive is no formatted. When I try to either "Erase" the drive of "Partition" the drive, I get an error message saying "Partition failed. Partition failed with the error. POSIX reports: The operation couldn't be completed. Cannot allocate memory"

Does anyone have any ideas (preferably free) as to how I can recover the data off of my hard drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. drewful1013 macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue and I have tried to reformat using a Windows machine as well and I cannot get it working. Mine is a WD My Book 1110 USB. It says the same 2.2TB when it is only a 1.5TB drive. I am unsure what to do as this is my Time Machine HD.

Any help would be awesome.

3. Jeriff macrumors newbie

Nice to Recover Data for Mac

There are many data recovery software,some are free,some are shareware. To successfully recover the valuable data, I suggest Nice to Recover Data for Mac.
    It support Photo Recovery,Deleted File Recovery,Deep Scan Recovery and Lost Partition Recovery. Capable of solving your problem:cool: It's trail version supports recovery of file smaller than 8MB. Good luck!

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

sounds like you have a corrupt hard drive... the fall must have done it in.

For the OP, I have never personally had to do any data recovery, but a quick google search for "data recovery software" brings up a plethora of options. You can always start with a free one to try and save money, but paid programs will likely have better success if the drive is heavily damaged. If you don't get everything off using the free software you may have to consider some "better" paid options.

For the second poster, seems your drive is also bad, but if it's just a time machine backup you might as well just replace the drive inside the enclosure, or buy a new external and start backing up time machine again. I don't really see any benefit in trying to get your old backup off the hdd rather than just start a new time machine drive.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Correct me if I am wrong but the Black BEVT is the one with the advanced free-fall protection right? IIRC weren't some issues being seen with these drives pretty regularly due to internal system safeties not getting along with those on the HDD?

Mine is the BEKT, which is the bare-bones, and probably the most common Scorpio Black sold today. If the BEVT is the 'advanced' one, which includes the free fall protection and a few more advanced features, I am pretty sure that they were having some issues in the MBP, but don't quote me. Someone else may be able to confirm and/or explain this better than me.

6. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

Mine is a white 320GB 5400RPM White WD drive.

store replaced it for free :p