Hard Drive problem!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maxipower, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Maxipower macrumors newbie

Hello Community,
    First of all im not sure wether this thread is in the right section but ill just explain my problem:
    I bought an external hard drive a few months ago, at first it worked fine. Used it a couple of times for the time machine thing but then went back to only use it for additional data storage... Then suddenly a month ago it stopped working both on mac and windows (it wasnt recognized, the hard drive didnt spin but the small light on the front of the hdd went on when i plugged it into the usb) A week later it started to work on my Mac again but not on my Windows PC for some reason :S ... Now it doesnt work again for both, doesnt spin but the small light still turning on when i plug it in, in my windows pc it somehow recognizes that i plugged something in so it says, the device is now ready for use.. but it doesnt show up under My Computer... Now is there any way for me to make it work again? And if not is there a way to recover my data?

Thanks for any help!

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

HFS+ and NTFS are different formats and you need to install something to have both Win and Mac OS use the same drive. Unless you want to go FAT32 on it. But then you would only get to use 32GB per partition.