Hard-Drive problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by R.Youden, Sep 11, 2007.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

This maybe a long one, I apologise...

I have a mac mini connected to my TV as a 'media centre' using eyeTV and Front Row. At the moment all of my content, TV shows, films and music, is on my Mac Pro and I run these through my mini as a shared library. Now this was my intention:

I purchased a new AEBS so I could run an AirDisk and store all my media on there so I could access the films from both my Mac Pro and mac mini. So I went out and purchased a Iomega mini max 500Gb HD which matched the mini and AEBS. Great. Now the problem is that the mini max is not recognised an AirDisk. The built-in hub works and I can even daisy-chain another HD, but the mini max won't play ball. It works fine when I connect to any other machine via USB or Firewire but it does not like my AEBS.

So, do I go an get another mini max to replace the current one (it is not covered under warranty as it works fine when connected to a mac). Do I do for another style of HD, or do I get a bigger internal HD for my Mac Pro?

Thanks for the advice.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'd recommend "none of the above", which would be using the Mini as the "server" rather than the MacPro. Draws less power if you leave it on, and it should be faster than files served as an AirDisk.

As for your actual question, I'd be inclined to think that it's some sort of incompatibility with that particular external, although you might try reformatting it--I'm not sure what drive format AirDisk requires, but perhaps the one you haven isn't in it (but the MacOS can read it, since it'll read almost anything if it's connected directly to a Mac).

3. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

You said running the mini as a 'server', what would be easiest way of linking all my media libraries together if they are stored on the hard Drive connected to the mini?

Thanks.