Hard drive query.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rip-the-jacker, Aug 31, 2014.

1. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

hey guys,

i recently acquired a MBP 17" mid 2010 from a reputable store in the UK. The laptop is in great condition and had full diagnostics etc done and all is well...

what i want to know is, i put a SSD in the laptop and the company does not allow the hard drive to be replaced, but i still have the original HD, so if there is an issue can i replace the hard drive with the original and will it be exactly the same and there is no way of them telling i replaced it? i have only changed the HD as everything else is good specs.

cheers guys,

RTJ

2. Greg1fraser macrumors member

i replaced my HDD with an ssd he encountered issues with the usb ports put my HDD back in sent apple and no issues replacing it

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just swap it back to avoid any issues.

FWIW, the hard drive is considered a user replaceable component.

4. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

cheers guys,

maflynn - when you say swap it back, you mean if i need to take it back? and yeah i thought that was the case but CEX said you can't replace the HD, that it would void the year warranty that they give.

RTJ

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

This idea has been bounced around many times. Replacing a typically simple-to-replace item like a hard drive does not, by itself, void the warranty.
    If you damage your MacBook Pro in some way, as a result of that replacement, then that won't be covered, and you probably would void the warranty.
    But, just a normal upgrade to SSD, which you can do yourself, no problem.

If you think that the store where you bought the MBPro will give you a problem, in the event that you need warranty service, then simply swap the hard drive back in. Again, if you don't damage anything, no one would ever notice, nor even care.
    (Unless some idiot at the store sealed the unit to prevent tampering, but that would be really unusual, I think. That seal might cover one or more of the screws, and would be an obvious block to open your unit without damage.)

Why do you need to return your MBPro?
    What kind of problem are you having now?

6. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

hey DeltaMac,

good to know, and no there was no seals etc on the hard drive when removed.

I'm having no problems, just wanted to know if i did need the warranty how i could replace the hard drive without them knowing...

its been in diagnostics etc before they take any hardware in, it runs great and is in good condition and boxed etc, so been looked after, just i get a little paranoid sometimes lol

RTJ