Hard drive question with backup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by argo063, Mar 21, 2012.

1. argo063 macrumors member

Hey people
    I need to buy a new hard drive for Mac and pc. For more storage for photos and video. But as well I need a backup of that hard drive what I can keep off site. What the best way of doing this? Eg two hard drives. Or could I do raid or a nas. Don't want to spend over $700 at most need Alest 2 tb of storage . Plus want to remove backup and keep it off site.

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can easily partition a drive, using one partition for backups and the other for additional storage. I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner for creating bootable backups. Format the backup partition as HFS+ and the other as NTFS or exFAT, for sharing with a Windows PC.

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.
    I've been very pleased with both of these, from Other World Computing (OWC):

OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro..........................OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro™
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. argo063, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012

argo063 thread starter macrumors member

That could work . But I do need two hard drives eg I want to remove one for off site back up.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can do that, as well. Format one drive for backups and the other for sharing with Windows.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think I understand what you want...How about a usb caddy? They come in single, double quadruple bays, you can use any size HDD you want, and the drives are removable..:

http://uk.startech.com/HDD/Docking/...ive-Docking-Station-for-25-35-HDD~SATDOCK4U3E

The link above is the 4 bay version, starting at the bottom and depending on how many drives you need:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-SA...C0IM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332370775&sr=8-2

The double. You can use these for your TM backups, (I'd recommend keeping one drive for that purpose) and any other data you wish...(the second drive)

Hope that helps...Other solutions are to buy a Time Capsule, and look at connecting NAS storage, or connecting one of these docks to the USB port on the TC itself, but that may be out of your budget.

----------

Dang, me types too slow!...:)

6. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

That sounds good thanks any chance you can get FireWire ones eg more speed

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

8. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Nope, I've got a 4 bay Startech which has fans, but they really don't accumulate dust at all, just a flick over with a micro fibre cloth every now and then.

Whichever flavour you choose, it's versatile, one eject button to remove the drive and drop in another one...In that caddy at the moment (It changes on a daily basis) I have a 500GB a 750GB and a couple of older 250GB drives, all working perfectly.

When I want to swap one out for one of my archives, its a simple eject and drop in the newbie.

10. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok kool. One thing. I think the speed be. Better having two docks because only one FireWire cable per dock. But only problem only one FireWire plug. Where did you get your from?

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I only use those drives for archiving big projects, and for my iTunes library..SO speed is not an issue for me I use the USB method

The four bay dock requires 2 USB connecters, and since the TC only has one I bought a mini hub:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...7WRNouu8QPn0PncBg&ved=0CJYBEPMCMAc#ps-sellers

To connect all four channels

If it's speed you are after (Mine are okay when connected, but you won't be winning races) Then the Firewire option is still the best option IMO..:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...7vPBtHe8QO5luzlBg&ved=0CIkBEPMCMAE#ps-sellers

Same thing, same connection only FW instead of USB!

12. bhonder macrumors member

bhonder

Seagate GoFlex. I have a couple of them.
    You can buy the docking station, and plug them in and out, or use them separately. The docking station could be a smb server too.

If you use them alone, you can change their caps and have FireWire, USB, or esata connection. The caps are very cheap. The drive makes almost no sound.

Check them out at Seagate's website under "external storage" tab.
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/mac-hard-drive/

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I need to buy a new hard drive for Mac and pc."

What follows is my opinion, and my opinion only.

If you have data that you value, DO NOT keep it on a drive with "mixed Mac and PC partitions".

Instead, store that data on a drive that is Mac-formatted ONLY and does not connect to a PC.

I've read too many instances of folks using "hybrid" Mac/PC drives, and who have plugged them into a PC, had something go wrong, and.... POOF! There goes the Mac partition with everything on it.

This DOES NOT mean you shouldn't have a hybrid Mac/PC drive. What it DOES mean is that if you do, don't put your most precious stuff on it (or at least on the Mac side of it), or keep a second copy of that stuff on a Mac-only drive.

If you want a solution to creating multiple drives/backups, you might consider one of these inexpensive gadgets:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    (many items shown, they all work alike, just pick one you like that's cheap)

Then get one or more "bare" SATA drives, and "swap things around" as required.