Hard drive question. . .

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ariveraphoto, Mar 23, 2011.

1. ariveraphoto macrumors newbie

ordering a 2011 MBP very soon. 15 inch 2.2Ghz, 8gigs of RAM. I want to opt for the SSD and due to the fact i only keep music on my computer (approx 40gigs), and money is some what of an issue, i want to get the 128 gig SSD. I'm a photographer and most if not all of what i shoot or work on is or winds up on an external. i'm using a total of 70 gigs worth of my HD on my macbook right now. My question is, if i use 70 gigs worth of the 128gig SSD, wil that in return affect performance as far as PsCS4, Lr, Br? i'm sorry if i'm rambling and thanks for any advice.

2. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

With all due respect... what is more important? Having 40gb of music on your machine or have it running smoothly with space for what you work with?

As far as I know SSDs like to have some spare space to work properly. I saw some users mentioning specific amounts depending on the size of the drive.
    So the question must be, is 18gb out of 128 (which isn't really 128 but less...) enough for the SSD to work with?

My guess would be that you'd be running it a bit tight. Not that you should get a bigger HD, but consider cutting down the music. The days where big music collections were all "wauw!" is over ;) Make a playlist on Grooveshark or Youtube instead :D

3. ariveraphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan to cut down the music kept on the laptop and keep the rest on an external. So now I just need to find out how much space a 128 gig ssd would take to run smoothly and properly. Just don't want to put 8 gigs of ram and more money into it if in the end 128 gig isn't enough, even if I only use say 20 gigs for music.