Hard drive question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flanny, Oct 25, 2011.

1. flanny macrumors newbie

I have an old MacBook Pro, bought it i think back in 2007 or 08. Has a Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2GB memory not sure what i have for a hard drive.

But a few weeks ago i noticed that everything has really really slow opening to closing programs and even typing it was very delayed and took forever. so my question is if i use Time Machine and load all my data on it then use the Snow CD and erase my hard drive from just Snow on it and just load music and email and some other simple programs would it make it fast or am i just wasting my time .

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.
    • To prevent Login Items and Finder windows from opening when logging in, after clicking the Login button at the login screen, hold down the Shift key
    • Try starting in Safe mode (only essential Mac OS X items are started. Some features and applications might not work correctly.) Hold down the Shift key immediately after the startup tone and release when you see the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear)

3. simsaladimbamba

4. flanny thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked everything, i had a ant-virus program on the computer but one of my friends told me that it was useless and didn't need it, so i deleted the program. For the login part i need a password to log in because i have people around that i don't want touching my files on my laptop

5. flanny thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried it, i know a few things about Macs but just did a light show and then gave me a bunch of numbers

6. simsaladimbamba

I guess you used Xbench?
    When using it to just test the HDD speed, choose DISK TEST, as in the screenshot in the post I suggested the HDD benchmark in.

7. flanny thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i used Xbench and this is what came up with

[​IMG]

8. simsaladimbamba

9. flanny thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so if i wanted to replace my HDD where i go to look for a new one and i would have to go to the apple store to have it replaced right ?

10. simsaladimbamba

11. flanny thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok well where would the best place to get a new Hard Dive ?

12. simsaladimbamba

Newegg or MacSales or Amazon, as described in the link. It also depends on your location.

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Try running onyx or just repair disk permissions.

14. flanny thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded that program but when ever i opened it it just asked to relaunch and wouldn't open

and i found a website that does HDDs Has anyone used this website for repairs ?

http://www.myservice.com/index.html