Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heisenberg123, Dec 6, 2011.

1. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The WD appears to be a faster drive, you also should look at whether the MTBF rating is any different.

Different specifications (and they appear to be a little different) cause the price to be different. Plus supply and demand, WD may be more adversely affected by the flooding in Thailand that is driving the price of hard drives up.

3. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

one more hard drive question, Ive read that the prices of really gone up due to floding in tialand, ive also noticed they look to have come back down a bit from a few months ago.

question is where should the price for a 1TB 2.5" be at in a normall world without these shortages?

is where they are now $129-139 as low as they were on launch?

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Just look at the price history that you usually find on most price comparison websites. I don't know any for american prices but here in europe.
    The markup compared to before the flooding is about
    35% for the Samsung M8
    and a whopping
    100% for the WD scoprio.

WD is about double the price, afaik they are heavily affected by the flooding. There was recently a news that one or two fabs can start doing some work again finally but most of them are still out. The Samsung price increase is only due to high demand not tight supply.

5. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Thanks after doing more searching I did see an article from July that had the spinpoint at 129 so I guess that's about as good as it will get anytime soon